An iconic breakfast cereal brand that has adorned family breakfast tables for over 70 years.
After a decade being out of the public eye, in 2009, the cereal brand launched a brand-extension family breakfast cereal that would compliment their lead product.
Hotcow were challenged with creating an experiential sampling campaign that would engage people with the brand, raise awareness and trial of the new cereal to kids/family and reinforce the fun elements of the brand.
People had fond memories of the brand’s lead character as an icon of their childhood but had largely forgotten about him. To appeal to families we needed to bring the the character to life and get parents introducing him to their kids in a targeted environment. This involved detailed strategic planning with a high level of sampling in concentrated zones.
What we did
We developed an interactive brand experience reinvigorating latent fondness of the cereal by targeting supermarkets and shopping centres.
We created an experience designed specifically to reinforce the fun elements of the brand. People got to immerse themselves in the world we created by choosing to have a photo with the brand’s iconic character, taking a product sample from the giant cereal box or play our “waffle wacker” game to win a prize. This mass entertainment installation also integrated with an immersive program that utilised multiple brand ambassador teams “waffling” out in front of supermarkets – giving customers the chance to taste, trial and enjoy the product.
So, what happened..?
- Our experience and understanding of the ‘families and mums’ sector combined with our ability to deliver nationwide activity within TEG’s were key factors in the success of this campaign.
- We achieved very high brand awareness. Product sales increased up to 900% at retailers and continued to rise up to 4 weeks after the activity.
- There was a halo effect on the cereal’s parent product, with sales of up to 270%.
- Cost per Awareness: 0.08p
- Gold Winner, ISP, 2010
- Silver Winner, IMCC, 2010